http://loyola.essex.sch.uk/uploads/images/top_images_26.jpg

Our 100+ year history

Our school name

Loyola Preparatory School takes its name from St Ignatius of Loyola and the school badge is an adaptation of two coats of arms representing the two sides of his family. The coat of arms of the Loyola family was two grey wolves with a kettle or cauldron between them on a white background. The Spanish word for ‘wolf’ is ‘lobo’ and ‘olla’ is a pot. Hence a wolf and a pot is ‘lobo-y-olla’, which is contracted into Loyola.

The badge was taken to refer to the benevolence of the Loyola family in feudal times. Reputedly, the family was so generous to its armed retainers that even the local wolves found something on which to feast after the soldiers had eaten their fill. 

The history of our school 

Loyola Preparatory School has been educating boys for more than a century. Situated in Buckhurst Hill since 1950, the school traces its descent from 1894 when St Ignatius College was founded in Stamford Hill. Loyola was founded originally as the preparatory department of this college in the year 1900. Following the 1944 Education Act it became impossible to maintain the preparatory department within state school premises and it became a separate schooI. In 1950 it relocated to its present site on Palmerston Road, which originally comprised part of Braeside School for girls.

In the 1960s a new classroom block was added in two stages to be followed in 1994 by the development of a link block which allowed the adaptation of former domestic accommodation for classroom use. In 2002, an extension was added to the Nursery and a new staircase provided access to attic areas for use as small tutorial rooms and a music room. In January 2003 the latest extension, comprising a multi- purpose hall, a practical science, art, design and technology room and three new classrooms, was opened formally by the Bishop of Brentwood.

Since September 2004, new facilities have included a library and ICT suite and interactive white boards. The use of white boards was extended further during 2005.

In June 2005 activity facilities were increased by the installation of two new adventure playgrounds - suitable for all age groups within the school. 2006 saw the installation of air conditioning in the old house and the realigning of the staff room and school offices. In 2010 extensions to the outside facilities for Reception I and II were developed. Rewiring of the old house took place during 2011. In 2012 the school forecourt was resurfaced. Additional interactive white boards were installed in the Chapel Classroom and ICT Room in 2012 and updated CleverTouch multi media screens were placed in Rudiments, Elements and Pre-Prep 2 in 2015.   An artificial all-weather playing surface was opened on the back field in February 2013.  In 2016, two new classroom were inserted into a steel frame to create an additional floor abouve the Sixties Wing which will open as specialist classrooms for Practical Science and Art Design and Technology in January 2017.

Loyola has maintained links with St Ignatius which is now in Enfield but also transfers pupils to other secondary schools. These include Bancroft's, Brentwood, Forest, Chigwell, City of London Boys', Davenant Foundation School, King Edward VI's Grammar School, Chelmsford, St Edmund's College, Felsted, New Hall,  Haileybury,  Roding Valley High School, Trinity Catholic High School, Ilford County High School and West Hatch.

Loyola Preparatory School is a charitable trust. Our Headteacher is appointed by the Board of Governors which is appointed by the Board of Trustees, who in turn receive their appointment from the Bishop of Brentwood.